Billie Barb Featured In Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomer
It is a well written article with a great quote from Lorraine about the work that Billie has accomplished in the acclaimed Nearby History Program. The Citizen historian article can be read in the online edition of the newspaper.
Congratulations Billie, your Nearby History Writer Friends are so proud of you!
Citizen historian unearths stories about Vashon’s Chautauquas
Jan 30 2008
By ELIZABETH SHEPHERD
For The Beachcomber
Billie Barb has the look of a master gardener: a short, no-nonsense crop of white hair, comfortable clothes, strong hands and gentle blue-green eyes. And since retiring to Whidbey Island in 1999, Barb has, in fact, spent a lot of time in her garden, nurturing plants and pulling weeds.
Lately, however, she’s been doing a different kind of digging. She’s been on a treasure hunt to uncover facts about a fascinating chapter in Vashon Island’s history: the turn-of-the-century settlement of a large summer colony and cultural center, called Chautauqua, situated on the shores of Tramp Harbor.
Continue reading the article >>Submitted by Linda-Rae Palmer

1 Comments:
Billie:
What a wonderful and interesting and well-written article about your research on Vashon. I wish I could've heard your presentation in the voice of Fannie. I know several people on Vashon and plan to forward them the article. I hope maybe one of them can give you another lead.
Barbara Sullivan
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home